Elimination and prevention of mycoplasma contamination in cell cultures
Plasmocin? is a broad-spectrum anti-mycoplasma and related cell wall-less bacteria reagent.
InvivoGen offers Plasmocin? prophylactic and Plasmocin? treatment.
Plasmocin? prophylactic can be used as a routine addition in liquid media to prevent mycoplasma and more generally bacterial contamination in mammalian cell cultures.
Plasmocin? treatment can effectively cure mycoplasma contamination within two weeks, without affecting cell stemness, pluripotency nor viability .
Plasmocin? contains two bactericidal components:
- the first component acts on the protein synthesis machinery by interfering with ribosome translation
- the second component acts on DNA replication.
Plasmocin? is active on both extracellular and intracellular mycoplasmas. It is active at low concentrations on a broad range of Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria that are otherwise resistant to the mixture of streptomycin and penicillin, and exhibits no toxicity towards eukaryotic cells.
Many cell lines infected by mycoplasmas have been successfully treated with Plasmocin? , including primary cancer cell lines , virus producing cells  and induced pluripotent stem cells , without inducing any permanent alterations.
1. Romorini L. et al, 2013. Effect of antibiotics against Mycoplasma sp. on human embryonic stem cells undifferentiated status, pluripotency, cell viability and growth. PLoS One. 8(7):e70267
2. Uphoff CC et al., 2012. Treatment of mycoplasma contamination in cell cultures with Plasmocin. J Biomed Biotechnol. 2012:267678.
3. Rongvaux A et al., 2014. Development and function of human innate immune cells in a humanized mouse model. Nat Biotechnol. 32(4):364-72.
4. Baronti C. et al., 2013. Mycoplasma removal: simple curative methods for viral supernatants. J Virol Methods. 187(2):234-7
5. Deng F. et al. 2012. Generation of induced pluripotent stem cells from human Tenon's capsule fibroblasts. Mol Vis. 18:2871-81
Read our review onMycoplasma contamination of cell cultures
Read our review onMycoplasma eradication
InvivoGen's anti-mycoplasma products are suitable for research purposes only, and not for human or animal care.
Plasmocin? Prophylactic (2.5 mg/ml): to prevent mycoplasma contamination, use at 2.5 - 5 μg/ml on a regular basis.
Plasmocin? Treatment (25 mg/ml): to eliminate mycoplasmas, use at 25 μg/ml for 2 weeks.
Endotoxin level: < 2 EU/mg
Physicochemical characterization: pH and appearance
Cell culture tested: potency validated on bacterial reference strains
Plasmocin? is provided as a cell culture tested, sterile filtered yellow solution.
This product is available at different concentrations:
ant-mpp: 25 mg/ml (Plasmocin?Treatment)
ant-mpt: 2.5 mg/ml (Plasmocin? Prophylactic)
Plasmocin? Prophylactic and Plasmocin? Treatment are shipped at room temperature
Upon receipt it can be stored at 4°C for 1 month or at -20°C for long-term storage.
2018 BMC Res Notes. 11(1):361.
Sigar IM. et al.
2018 Nat Commun. 9(1):936.
Sinha M. et al.